Microsoft has released a new build for the Insiders on the Fast Ring of Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile. This update comes only a week after Build 14933, which was released only for Windows 10 on PC due to some known issues with the Windows 10 Mobile build.
Build 14936 doesn’t come with a lot of new features, besides a few new Edge extensions and a new Ubuntu release. It is mostly trying to fix a few issues with here and there.
Ubuntu update for the Linux Subsystem – The Windows Subsystem for Linux was introduced in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Mostly a developer-focused feature, the Subsystem is a translation layer between Linux and Windows – it converts the Linux kernel commands to Windows.
It is not a VM – there is no virtualization involved in this process, but translation. As for the Linux distro – it was running Ubuntu 14.04 until now, however, in a few weeks, Ubuntu will be updated to 16.04.
The new version brings mostly bug fixes, but there are a few new implementations as well. Here’s the list:
- Implemented the chroot system call
- Improvements in inotify including support for notifications generated from Windows applications on DrvFs
- Socket binding to IPV6:: now supports IPV6_V6ONLY (GH #68, #157, #393, #460, #674, #740, #982, #996)
- WNOWAIT behavior for waitid systemcall implemented (GH #638)
- Support for IP socket options IP_HDRINCL and IP_TTL
- Zero-length read() should return immediately (GH #975)
- Correctly handle filenames and filename prefixes that don’t include a NULL terminator in a .tar file.
- epoll support for /dev/null
- Fix /dev/alarm time source
- Bash -c now able to redirect to a file
- Additional bugfixes and improvements
You can find more details on Microsoft’s changelog for Windows Subsystem for Linux.
New extensions for Edge Browser – The new build adds three new extensions for Microsoft Edge. Tampermonkey, Turn Off The Lights, and Microsoft’s Personal Shopping Assistant.
Tampermonkey – This Greasemonkey extension is quite famous on Firefox for the ease with which it lets users use scripts to modify webpages. Tampermonkey is its cousin – of sorts – and works on more than just Firefox. Tampermonkey is also available on Google Chrome, Opera, and Vivaldi.
Turn off the Lights – The idea of this extension is not unique, and the feature is quite simple. It fades a website to darkness – except the video player – allowing you to watch a video with no distractions. That’s all it does, and it does it with a single click. At least you won’t have to ask ‘Hey! Who turned out the lights?!’.
Personal Shopping Assistant – The shopping assistant is a Microsoft project built by a few engineers in their free time. The extension was announced to be coming to Microsoft Edge only three weeks ago, and this build adds support for it. You can read our previous article on it, for more details.
Fixes and improvements – Various bugs have been squashed for both Windows 10 on PC and Mobile.
On the PC, various issues with Narrator, the Settings app, and the Explorer have been fixed.
On the Mobile, problems with the sign-in PIN pad, SIM cards, mobile hotspot feature, and more have been fixed.
Known Issues – There is a list of known issues published by Microsoft with each build update. Here’s what Microsoft knows is broken:
- Optional components may not work after upgrading to this build. To get it working again, go to “Turn Windows features on or off,” scroll down and check the right optional component and click ok. After a reboot, the optional component will be enabled again.
- Tencent apps and games will cause your PC to bugcheck (bluescreen).
- Running sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt will fail at 20% with the error “could not perform the requested operation.”
- If you have your default storage set to an SD card for apps, installation of apps like WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, and WeChat will fail with an error. As a workaround, set your default location to your device’s onboard storage.
As an Insider, you are naturally expected to report any further issues you discover.
This build comes days after the Release Preview update for Insiders.
Last Updated on