The Device Manager in Windows OS is a critical part of the operating system and its a place where you can check and manage all the devices that are connected to your PC.
These devices include Graphics Processors, CPU, Printers, Bluetooth devices, USB devices etc.
When any of these devices start glitching for some reason, you can just use the Device Manager to uninstall the drivers and reinstall them or for troubleshooting the problems. You can also install drivers for devices manually using the Device Manager.
By default the Device Manager only shows the devices that are currently connected to the PC and it hides the devices that are currently not connected. These hidden devices are known as non present devices and in this post we will tell you how to Show Non present devices in Device Manager in Windows OS.
How to access Device Manager?
Before starting the procedure let us tell you how you can actually access the Device Manager.
- To access the Device Manager, just press the Windows Button on your keyboard and the R button together.
- So, you have to press Win + R and this will open a Run dialogue box.
- Now in this dialogue box you just have to type:
- It will take 2-3 seconds and the Device Manager will now open up.
How to Show Non present devices in Device Manager in Windows OS?
Now coming to the main point of the post, let us see how to Show Non present devices in Device Manager in Windows OS.
- You have to start Command Prompt in elevated mode.
- That means you will have to run Command Prompt in Administrator mode.
- In Windows 7 just search for CMD in the start menu and then right click on Command Prompt and Run it as Administrator
- For Windows 8.1 users, just right click on the Windows Start button and choose Command Prompt (Admin)
- This will start the Command Prompt in Administrator mode and the window should look like this:
- Now you just have to type this into the Command Prompt:
- SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
- Now after you have typed and pressed Enter for the above command, type this and press Enter again
- This will start the Device Manager and you just have to follow one more step.
- Now just click on the View menu in the Device Manager window
- You will see an option that reads Show hidden devices.
- Click that option and make sure it is checked.
This is it. You have successfully configured Device Manager to show Non present devices in Device Manager in Windows.