Storing duplicate files on your computer can take up a lot of space. This, in turn, can cause your computer to slow down. Not only that , it will also make your computer’s backup bigger with unnecessary & duplicate files for no reason. So today we will be talking about how to find and remove duplicate files from your Windows 10,8 or 7 computer. So let’s get to it.
We will be using the Duplicate Cleaner Pro 4.0.2 to help us find and delete the duplicate files. The advantage of using this tool is that it can even find duplicate images and audio files. Using the tool, you can easily scan various photo and music formats.
- Download and install the Duplicate Cleaner Pro. You can use the software for 15 days for free with a restriction on the number of files you can delete. If you don’t want to pay for this tool, you can check dupeGuru which is available for free and can be used to delete unlimited duplicate files.
- Launch the tool from the Start menu.
- Once the tool is launched, click on the “New search” option you see in the image above. You will then see the screen shown below.
- This screen allows you to choose various search options to find the best duplicate files results. You can set your own criteria for choosing which files to term as the duplicate. The “Same content” option will mark files as duplicate if they have the exact same content, “Similar content” will term files duplicate if it finds any similarities between the two files and finally, the “Ignore content” option allows you to set your own criteria for determining duplicate files such as the name, extension, date etc.
- After selecting the criteria for determining duplicate files you seem fit, you will now have to select the search location. Select the folder or drive from the Menu on the left and drag it onto the left side of the window.
- Once you have selected the location to be searched, click on the “Start scan” button. The tool will then start searching for all the duplicate files.
- After the search is complete, the results will be displayed as follows.
- All the duplicate files will be shown as in the image. Then you have to decide which files you want to delete. You can also decide whether you want to send these file to the Recycle Bin or permanently delete them.
So this was our article on how to find and remove duplicate files on your Windows 10, 8 or 7 computer. Have any queries? Leave them in the comments below and we will be happy to get back to you. Stay tuned for more useful articles.
Last Updated on