If you are facing issue with Outlook, this might be the post you need to read. Windows Outlook was a bit buggy in Windows 8 and its continue to trouble in Windows 10 as well. Most common issue with Outlook is that it hangs on the loading profile.
No matter which Outlook version you are using, whether it is Outlook 2010, Outlook 2013 or Outlook 2016 you might be facing the issue where Outlook is Stuck at Loading Profile screen.
The most obvious solution which we try is to rename our .pst file or move it but Outlook doesn’t allow to do it and we feel that our file is corrupted. Outlook can start throwing issue due to many reasons and here are the top solutions so that you can use Outlook smoothly and without any issue.
Repair Corrupted Data Files
One reason why Outlook hangs is that its data files are corrupted. In an ideal case, Outlook finds corrupted data files on its own and repairs them instantly but, if it fails in determining the corrupted file, it starts to hang. Here is a small guide on how to repair a .pst file:
- Navigate to Program Files folder on your PC. The most common path is C:\Program Files.
- Type ‘Scanpst.exe’ in the search bar and double click on it.
- It will open a dialogue box where you need to enter the name of the file you wish to scan. You can also search for the file. Click ‘Start’.
- If it finds any error in the file, it will ask you to start the repair process.
- Click Repair and follow the steps. This should make your Outlook issue and bug-free.
This is the most common reason why the outlook gets stuck at the loading profile. If you are still facing the issue, try the next solution.
Stop Data Files to be accessed by other applications
Outlook needs to access & lock its data files while starting to read & write to them. These data files are stored in .PST or .OST format and if these are being accessed by any other application or software at that very same time, Outlook will start throwing ‘Loading Profile’ issue and will wait for these files till they become accessible. You can solve this issue:
- Check if your anti-virus is scanning the data files or not. If yes, disable the anti-virus.
- Check if any third-party application is in sync with Outlook. Applications like Google Calendar sync automatically with Outlook and starts accessing the data files. Identify such applications and stop the sync process or let them gets sync first before opening outlook.
- Open Windows Task Manager and kill the outlook.exe of running as it runs in the background and locks the data files.
Disable VPN or 3rd Party Application
If you are using any VPN or specifically SonicWall VPN, there are chances that it is causing the issue with Outlook. Just install SonicWall and try to run Outlook, it should run smoothly. If you have recently installed or updated any applications on your PC, try uninstalling it to see if Outlook works fine or not.
If you are using any other VPN and don’t want to uninstall it, then running Outlook in safe mode (hold Ctrl Key & Double Click on Outlook Icon to run in safe mode) may work fine. Else run outlook.exe /resetnavpane or outlook.exe /resetfolders commands in Run Command Box. It should make Outlook stable.
If you are using Lync, then just close it. Also, close Lync in the windows task manager by right-clicking on it and selecting end task. If you are still facing the issue where outlook is stuck at loading profile, try the last method.
Disable Hardware Graphics Acceleration
Open Outlook in Safe Mode and go to File > Options > Advanced and Tick check on ‘Disable Hardware Graphics Acceleration’ option.
Try these above-mentioned solutions and you will be able to use Outlook without any issue. Try restarting the PC after any installation or uninstallation to be on the safer side.
I hope using one of the above-mentioned solutions you were able to solve the problem and outlook is no longer stuck at loading profile. If you have any queries or still facing the issue, let us know and we will try to solve the problem.