The “Display driver failed to start” message can be a common sight after you install a new version of Windows or update it from an older version to a more recent one. This error is caused when the graphic drivers installed on your computer fail to start. In order to fix this, the graphic drivers will have to be fixed. So let’s start with our article on how to fix “Display driver failed to start error” in Windows 10 .
There are several methods to fix this error and we will discuss all the solutions one by one.
Update the display driver in Windows 10
- Right click the Windows button to open the Device Manager.
- In the Device Manager, click on the “Display Adapter” option to expand it. You will then see the display adapters installed on your computer.
- Right click on the adapter to click on the “Update driver software” option.
- A new dialogue box will appear asking whether you want Windows to look for the update or select the update manually from your computer. Select the former option and let Windows update the display adapter for you.
After the drivers have been updated, restart the syste and the Display Driver Failed To Start Error should disappear. In case you are still facing the issue, try following the next solution.
Reinstall the display driver in Windows 10
Before proceeding make sure you have downloaded the latest drivers from the company’s website.
- Launch the Device Manager by right-clicking the Windows button and clicking on “Device Manager”.
- In the Device Manager window, right-click on the display adapter. Then proceed to click on the “Uninstall” option. Click yes to any pop-up box that asks you to confirm your action.
- Now download the display drivers from the graphic hardware manufacturer website on your computer. After downloading, install the display drivers and restart the system.
Reinstall Windows 10
If both the above-mentioned methods don’t work, we suggest you try reinstalling Windows 10 on your computer. You can easily do this using ISO image that wouldn’t cause any loss of data too. Your Windows will be up and running just like it was, only without all the user installed apps. If you want to reinstall Windows 10, please read our tutorial on
If you want to reinstall Windows 10, please read our tutorial on how to create a Windows 10 ISO. We also suggest you to backup all your data before doing so. You can do this using Windows 10’s inbuilt tool. To learn how to backup all your Windows 10 data, click here.
So this was our tutorial on how to fix the “Display driver failed to start” error in Windows 10. We hope the article proved useful to you and you were able to solve this error. Got any queries? Leave them in the comments section below and stay tuned for more troubleshooting tips.
Last Updated on