The transition to Windows 10 has been quite hard for many people including a friend of mine who was facing the “The default gateway is not available” on his new Windows 10 upgraded system. This is not a small problem as it stops you from accessing the internet altogether. This can happen due to a lot of reasons especially in Windows 10 devices that use WiFi as a mode of getting the internet. The fix for this is quite simple and can be done easily. Take a look at the solutions given below and you will be able to fix the default gateway is not available error in no time.
Solution #1: Restart your modem or router
The solution to this can be as simple as just restarting your modem or a router that is serving you the connection. Sometimes the modem or the router bugs out and fails to let you connect to the network. A simple reboot will do the job.
Solution #2: Update your Windows 10 & Drivers
This problem is directly related to the hardware not being able to interact with Windows 10. It is clear that the hardware drivers make it possible for the hardware and the operating system to interact with each other. This specific problem arises because Windows 10 has old drivers that are incompatible and it can easily be fixed by updating Windows 10. The drivers will be updated along with Windows 10 and this should fix the default gateway is not available problem.
Solution #3: Update your networking drivers using Windows Update
If the drivers are still not installed on your laptop even after updating Windows 10, then follow this process. Follow the procedure given below and you will be fine.
- Open the Start Menu and search for Device Manager
- Open Device Manager and then move on to Network Adapters
- Expand this and then look for Wireless Adapters
- Right click on Wireless Adapters and then choose Update Driver Software
- On the next window just choose Search Automatically for Updated Drivers
- This will take some time and after the driver is downloaded and installed, just restart your PC and your network will work fine.
If you are still facing the default gateway is not available message in Windows 10, you can try updating the networking drivers manually.
Solution #4: Update your networking drivers manually
This solution worked for my friend personally. Due to some bug, Windows 10 had installed the wrong driver for the network adapter which was not being recognized by Windows 10. There is a very easy fix to this and this can be done through the steps that are given below.
- Go to your laptop’s support page on the manufacturer’s website and then download the latest drivers for your network adapter
- Now go to Device Manager by searching it in the Start Menu
- Uninstall the current drivers by right clicking the Wireless Adapter in Network adapters
- Now all you need to do is run the setup file of the drivers that you downloaded from your laptop’s support website.
Installing the drivers might take some time but this will fix it.
So, these were some solutions that should fix “The default gateway is not available” issue on Windows 10. You can try all of them one by one and I am sure these will work for you and get your problem solved.
Last Updated on