In this era of negativity and theft and all the wrong things, it is absolutely necessary to encrypt files and folders on all your devices to stay safe. This is needed to ensure that the personal information, files, images, data and everything else that is personal remains personal and does not become public at any point without the owner’s permission.
Encryption of files and folders has become one of the most essential activities these days as in this era of fraudulent and deceit there has been hardly any time when anyone would want to feel vulnerable.
There are a few methods to encrypt files and folders these days. They are firstly by using certain encryption software available online for free; second by third-party encryption and thirdly it can be done by using MS office.
How to Encrypt Files and Folders in Windows 10 using encryption software?
Encryption of files and folder by this method can be done by the following steps:
- Firstly you have to go to the file or folder you wish to encrypt and right-click on the file or folder.
- A drop-down menu would appear where you need to select the ‘properties’ option.
- Next you need to click on the advanced button on the general tab.
- Here you would find an option that says ‘compress and encrypt attributes’, here choose the option that will say ‘encrypt contents to secure data’.
- Click the ‘OK’ button and you are good to go.
- The last thing that remains is to apply the changes to the folders when prompted by Windows
How to Encrypt Files and Folders in Windows 10 using third-party encryption?
Using third party encryption is the second method for the encryption of files and folders in windows 10. This is the best method of encryption and will make sure your files and folders are secure. Let us take an example with VeraCrypt which is an open source encrypting software that works really well. The steps to follow for this encryption VeraCrypt are:
- Download VeraCrypt from the CopePlex website by just following this link. VeraCrypt works flawlessly on Windows 10 and it is open source which means it has an active developer community to make it better with every update.
- When the download is complete, run the file to install it on your Windows 10 PC.
- Now follow the steps given below to start encrypting your data. Let’s get started.
- Click on the Create Volume button and then select “Create an encrypted file container” on the next screen.
- Now choose “Standard VeraCrypt volume” in the next window and then click on the ‘Next’ button.
- Now click on “Select File” button and choose the directory where you want the encrypted files to be saved.
- Now choose the encryption algorithm and you can choose any that suits your needs. You can read about the algorithm in this window itself.
- Then you can choose how big the virtually encrypted drive will be and then you can choose to have a password to access the files.
- After the setting the password, you will be asked to format the drive. You can choose FAT as your file system in order to have the best compatibility.
This is how you can easily encrypt files using a third party software like VeraCrypt.
How to encrypt MS Office files?
This third method is generally used for encryption of Microsoft Office documents. The steps to follow for this encryption method include:
- Go to the file of the Microsoft Office document you wish to encrypt and select the file tab on it.
- Under the ‘info’ option, select the ‘Protect the document’ icon.
- From the drop-down menu, select the ‘encrypt with password option.
- Enter and re-enter the password and press enter.
- Click on the OK button and you are sorted.
Keep your files and folders safe on your Windows 10 device; encrypt them using good software and the right procedure. If you are still facing issues while encrypting your files or folders feel free to drop a comment below.