Passwords – We all forget them at least once or twice in our lifetime. Not our fault, we are all only humans, right? But what do you do when you forget a password and you have no way of recovering it?
This happened to a friend who forgot his Windows 10 password after he came back from a long trip. He also had no way to resetting the password which left is computer totally unusable. But thankfully I helped him recover his PC using this method. I can only imagine how many people might be facing this problem on a daily basis and hence I am writing this tutorial.
We will see how to recover a PC on which you have forgotten your password. This will work for Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7. Let’s get started.
Recover forgotten Windows 10 Password
We will be using a tool named Windows Password Key which is a great tool that we will use it to reset the password. We will be needing the following things in this process.
- Another Windows PC or laptop
- Lost Windows Password
- A CD or DVD Disk
- Or a USB drive
You can download the trial version of the tool but then you can only use a CD or a DVD disk in order to reset the password. This is one of the best tool to recover windows password with 100% recovery rate. It supports all major file systems like NTFS, FAT16, FAT32, etc. Let’s get to the procedure part now.
Procedure & Required Steps
The steps that we need to follow are quite easy but it is suggested that you read these steps first in order to complete the process successfully.
Part 1 – Getting things ready
- These steps are to be done on a different system which you have access to.
- After you have downloaded and installed the Windows Password Key tool, open it.
- You will see that the main ISO for the default key is already chosen.
- Now depending on the type of license, you can choose to use a CD, DVD or a USB.
- The trial version only allows you to work with a CD or a DVD drive.
- You can choose to buy the Professional version @ $29.95 if you want a USB drive option.
- Insert a drive that you want to use for resetting and click on Refresh.
- Make sure the drive you have inserted is blank and has no content on it.
- Now click the Burn button and this will start burning the recovery image onto the disc.
Part 2 – Let’s crack Windows Password!
These steps are to be taken on the PC on which you are not able to remember your password on.
- Now that your drive is ready to go, we can move on to the next step.
- We have to now boot up from the disc or the USB drive – whatever you created.
- The booting menu comes up differently for different systems.
- You can try F8, F12, DEL, ESC buttons to see which button brings up the boot menu on your system.
- Make sure you boot from BIOS.
- After you boot from BIOS to your drive, you will be able to see the installed Windows versions.
- Choose your version by typing the appropriate number and pressing ENTER.
- Now you will be showed a list of user accounts on this Windows installation.
- Press the number you want to crack the Windows password of and press the ENTER button.
- On the next step, you need to press Y and the press ENTER to confirm the action.
Now let the tool do its job and you will know when the process is complete. The whole process will take less than half an hour which makes it a really easy to follow method. You can use this tool to crack the password of any account on your Windows 10/8 or 7 PC in case you forget it.